Vijay Kapoor founded The Kapoor Company in 2008. He has spent his entire professional career working on governmental and public sector workforce issues. Prior to rejoining The Kapoor Company, he served as the Director of Workforce Consulting at Public Financial Management. Mr. Kapoor has also served in state government in positions including Executive Director of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania’s Office of Management and Productivity where he led enterprise-wide and agency-specific cost savings projects towards the goal of reaching $1.5 billion in annual savings. Mr. Kapoor also previously practiced as a labor and employment attorney, where he specialized in public sector labor relations matters.
In 2013, Mr. Kapoor mediated a comprehensive consensus agreement among the City of Lexington, KY and its police and fire unions to address an underfunded pension fund. He and his team worked with the parties to define the scope of the problem, benchmarked the current benefit levels, and identified possible paths to sustainability. The final agreement included changing the pension COLA, maintaining a defined benefit pension plan for existing employees and new hires, and increasing financial contributions by the City. The agreement was featured in The Bond Buyer (“A New Path to Reform of Pensions.” The Bond Buyer. January 31, 2013) and Governing Magazine (“Pension Reform Success Stories.” Governing Magazine. April 1, 2013). In 2014, he also successfully mediated a consensus agreement among the City of Chattanooga, TN, and its fire and police employees and retirees.
Mr. Kapoor is a frequent speaker on pension and retiree benefit issues. He has made the following presentations:
- “Municipal Finance Basics for Arbitrators.” American Arbitration Association. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. October 11, 2013
- “Pension Reform: Doing it Right.” Government Finance Officers Association 107th Annual Conference. San Francisco, California. June 4, 2013
- “Compensation and Retiree Benefit Issues.” New Hampshire Local Government Center Annual Conference. Manchester, New Hampshire. November 14, 2012
- “Addressing Unfunded Retiree Benefit Liabilities.” Association of Public Treasurers of the United States and Canada 47th Annual Conference. Williamsburg, Virginia. August 15, 2012
- “Collective Bargaining Strategies for Employee and Retiree Benefits: What Finance Officers Need to Know.” Government Finance Officers Association 105th Annual Conference. San Antonio, Texas. May 23, 2011
Mr. Kapoor has also published articles on public sector collective bargaining including:
- “Bringing Numbers to the Table: What Finance Officers Need to Know About Collective Bargaining,” Government Finance Review (August 2011)
- “Public Sector Labor Relations: Why it Should Matter to the Public and Academia”, 5 U. Pa. J. Lab. & Emp. 401 (2003)
Mr. Kapoor graduated from the University of Chicago with degrees in economics and public policy studies (with honors) and received his J.D. from the University of Pennsylvania Law School, where he received the labor law prize. He also received a certificate in Business and Public Policy from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania. He has been certified as a Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) since 2008.
For a detailed PDF overview of The Kapoor Company and our services, please click here.